Dan O’Rourke Recipe Book
Makes 24 buns
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup butter, room temperature, cubed
- 1 cup fine coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 can mandarin oranges, undrained
- 2 eggs, beaten
First things first! Preheat oven to 375°F, and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper. If you don’t have parchment paper at home, lightly grease the tray and dust with flour.
- Mix ingredients first!
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add the flour and the cubed butter, mix by hand until the mixture turns into coarse crumbs
- Dry ingredients Next!
- Add coconut, sugar and baking powder into the flour-butter mixture above, use a wooded spoon to stir evenly
- Wet ingredients now!
- In a small bowl, pour the entire can of mandarin oranges, use a fork to mash the mandarin oranges in the juices
- Add in the beaten eggs and stir until combined
- Now it’s time to mix it all together!
- Pour half of dry mixture into wet mixture, when almost mixed, pour in the rest of dry mixture and stir until combined. Separate the dough into 4 smaller balls of dough
- Now it’s time to cut the dough!
- Put a bit flour over both hands, and dust flour on a clean table top, pat one dough ball down to about 1 inch thickness, use a round biscuit cutter (or a glass) to cut out buns (6 buns), do the same to the other 3 dough balls, gather scraps of dough and re-roll until all dough is used
- Put buns onto baking sheet, bake for 20 minutes and let cool on baking sheet
- Done, now let’s eat them!