Designed for Personal Support Workers (PSWs) and Health Care Aides who want to enhance their knowledge and skills in palliative and end of life care.
Prerequisite: You must have successfully completed the Fundamentals of Hospice Palliative Care course before registering for Advanced Palliative Practice Skills (APPS).
When finished the course, you’ll:
- have an enhanced understanding and respect for the role of PSWs/Health Care Aides in providing a palliative approach
- be more self-aware when providing hospice palliative care
- have an enhanced understanding of loss and grief
- be able to identify opportunities and strategies around symptom management
- have an enhanced understanding of comfort measures at end of life
- have an enhanced understanding of ethical challenges at end of life
- be able to actively contribute to a team approach
- Welcome to APPS & e-Learning
- Roles in Caregiving: Therapeutic Communication & Self-Care
- Considering Advance Care Planning, Ethics, Loss & Grief
- Tools for Symptom Management including a Focus on Pain
- Psychological Issues & Spiritual Issues
- Skin Care and the Dying Process
- After Death Care and Bereavement
This is a virtual, 8 week course consisting of:
- 3 live virtual classroom sessions
- Weekly readings, reflections, discussion forums and videos
- Two peer-to-peer exchanges
Access to an internet-enabled computer, tablet or smart phone with a microphone and camera is required to access the learning platform and participate in virtual classroom sessions. All program materials are accessed online on the Partnering for Palliative Education platform through D2L’s Brightspace Learning Environment. If this is a barrier, please contact us.
Register for Upcoming Courses
Next course will run in spring 2023. Sign up below and receive email notifications when registration opens.