Friendly volunteer visits for isolated, lonely older adults in Halton.
Our caring Friendly Visiting volunteers meet with socially-isolated older adults for companionship and conversation. They may also take the client out for walks if it safe to do so. Visits usually happen once a week for 1-2 hours in the client’s home.
This program is ideal for:
- Socially-isolated, frail older adults (65+) who lack social support due to physical health conditions, transportation, accessibility or mobility reasons
- Live alone in their own home, apartment or retirement home
- No current diagnosis of dementia – for people with dementia, please refer to the Memory Visiting Program
Matches are based on shared interests to ensure a positive and meaningful experience for both the client and volunteer. We have an excellent track record – many of our clients and volunteers have been matched for years!
Our professional staff team provides ongoing support to both clients and volunteers throughout their time together and can help clients access additional services as their needs change.
This program is offered free of charge through the generosity of our volunteers, funders and donors.
- The client resides in the Region of Halton;
- The client has a valid Ontario Health Card;
- The staff and volunteers have the expertise to meet the person’s service needs;
- They agree to refrain from smoking while the Care Manager/Counsellor and volunteer(s) visits;
- They pose no risk to harm the Care Manager/Counsellor or volunteer(s);
- They do not have communicable diseases. Client with MRSA, VRE, and C Difficile must have three negative cultures prior to being visited with a volunteer.
- Older adults (65+) living in own home or in a retirement home who are socially isolated or with limited access to social supports due to physical health limitations, accessibility, mobility or transportation issues
- Older Adults who need help to bridge the gap between home and institution when placement becomes necessary;
- Exceptional cases will be evaluated by Care Manager on an individual basis
- No diagnosis of dementia – please refer to the Memory Visiting program
Two Years of Tears: Jeanne Marie’s Story
Jeanne Marie Braund, aged 91, was desperately lonely until she discovered our Friendly Visiting program and her volunteer Annette.
Friendly Visiting Team
Milton and Halton Hills
Burlington (East of Guelph Line)
Burlington (West of Guelph Line, Retirement Homes, Older Adult Buildings)
News and Events
Accreditation Canada delivers a wide range of high-impact assessment programs for health and social service organizations, powered by HSO, and customized to local needs. For more than 60 years, Accreditation Canada has been working with health, social and community service organizations to advance quality and safety. We are very proud to report that Accreditation Canada…
This year we’re celebrating the magical moments that happen at Acclaim Health day in, day out. A word of kindness. A shared laugh. Finding a path forward when you thought you were at a dead end, alone. They are not the big, flashy leaps ahead. These are the meaningful moments created by human connections between…