Friendly volunteer visits for isolated, lonely older adults in Halton.
Our caring Friendly Visiting volunteers meet with socially-isolated older adults for companionship and conversation. They may also take the client out for coffee, walks, or help with a few errands on occasion. Visits usually happen once a week for 1-2 hours.
This program is ideal for:
- Socially-isolated, frail older adults (65+) who lack social support due to physical health conditions, transportation, accessibility or mobility reasons
- Live alone in their own home, apartment or retirement home
- No current diagnosis of dementia – for people with dementia, please refer to the Memory Visiting Program
Matches are based on shared interests to ensure a positive and meaningful experience for both the client and volunteer. We have an excellent track record – many of our clients and volunteers have been matched for years!
Our professional staff team provides ongoing support to both clients and volunteers throughout their time together and can help clients access additional services as their needs change.
This program is offered free of charge through the generosity of our volunteers, funders and donors.
- The client resides in the Region of Halton;
- The client has a valid Ontario Health Card;
- The staff and volunteers have the expertise to meet the person’s service needs;
- They agree to refrain from smoking while the Care Manager/Counsellor and volunteer(s) visits;
- They pose no risk to harm the Care Manager/Counsellor or volunteer(s);
- They do not have communicable diseases. Client with MRSA, VRE, and C Difficile must have three negative cultures prior to being visited with a volunteer.
- Older adults (65+) living in own home or in a retirement home who are socially isolated or with limited access to social supports due to physical health limitations, accessibility, mobility or transportation issues
- Older Adults who need help to bridge the gap between home and institution when placement becomes necessary;
- Exceptional cases will be evaluated by Care Manager on an individual basis
- No diagnosis of dementia – please refer to the Memory Visiting program
Two Years of Tears: Jeanne Marie’s Story
Jeanne Marie Braund, aged 91, was desperately lonely until she discovered our Friendly Visiting program and her volunteer Annette.
Friendly Visiting Team
Milton, Halton Hills, and Burlington (East of Guelph Line)
905-827-8800 ext. 2318
Toll free: 1-800-387-7127 ext. 2318
Burlington (West of Guelph Line, Retirement Homes, Older Adult Buildings)
905-827-8800 ext. 2106
Toll free: 1-800-387-7127 ext. 2106
905-827-8800 ext. 2315
Toll free: 1-800-387-7127 ext. 2315
News and Events
Annual Report 2021-2022 #Heart
We put the heart in extraordinary care. You - our amazing community - is the reason we put our whole heart into everything we do. Find out what #heart can do inside our Annual Report 2020-2021 or watch the presentation. From the challenges of the pandemic to the bright star that is Patty's Place, extraordinary care is only…
Carolyn and Ray’s Story – Caregiver Support
“Although everyone’s story is slightly different, they get it. They understand the feelings and understand what is happening with your loved one.” A dementia diagnosis doesn’t just impact one person. It changes the lives of many, as a family navigates what their life will be like now that a loved one is living with dementia.…