Volunteer visits for people living with the early stages of dementia or memory impairment in Halton.
It can be difficult to maintain friendships in the early stages of memory loss. Yet, social connections are key to retaining communication skills and feeling happy.
Our wonderful Memory Visiting Volunteers are trained to engage people experiencing the early to mid-stages of memory impairment due to dementia, stroke or injury.
They provide a friendly social connection outside of the client’s normal social sphere and find activities or conversations that appeal to the client’s unique interests and abilities. This may involve looking at family photos, going out for a walk or simply sharing coffee and conversation. Visits usually happen once a week for 1-2 hours.
Our professional staff team provides ongoing support to both clients and volunteers throughout their time together. They can also help clients and their families access additional programs and community support as their needs change, including providing referrals to our Caregiver Support and Education programs and Adult Day Programs.
This program is offered free of charge through the generosity of our volunteers, funders and donors.
- The client resides in the Region of Halton;
- The client has a valid Ontario Health Card;
- The staff and volunteers have the expertise to meet the person’s service needs;
- They agree to refrain from smoking while the Care Manager/Counsellor and volunteer(s) visits;
- They pose no risk to harm the Care Manager/Counsellor or volunteer(s);
- They do not have communicable diseases. Client with MRSA, VRE, and C Difficile must have three negative cultures prior to being visited with a volunteer.
- Client has early to mid-stage cognitive impairment due to dementia, stroke or injury
- Client is interested in and able to engage in social activities
- Client must be currently living in own home or retirement home
- If client poses a risk of wandering, he/she must be registered with The Alzheimer Society of Canada’s “Safely Home” Registry.
Memory Visiting Team
Joanne Berrigan, Care Manager
905-827-8800 ext. 2317
Toll free: 1-800-387-7127 ext. 2317
Fiona Mueller-Carrera, Care Manager
905-827-8800 ext. 2314
Toll free: 1-800-387-7127 ext. 2314
Milton & Halton Hills
Serena Bowker, Care Manager
905-827-8800 ext. 2318
Toll free: 1-800-387-7127 ext. 2318
News and Events
Carolyn and Ray’s Story – Caregiver Support
“Although everyone’s story is slightly different, they get it. They understand the feelings and understand what is happening with your loved one.” A dementia diagnosis doesn’t just impact one person. It changes the lives of many, as a family navigates what their life will be like now that a loved one is living with dementia.…
Annual Report 2021-2022 #Heart
We put the heart in extraordinary care. You - our amazing community - is the reason we put our whole heart into everything we do. Find out what #heart can do inside our Annual Report 2020-2021 or watch the presentation. From the challenges of the pandemic to the bright star that is Patty's Place, extraordinary care is only…