This accessibility plan outlines the policies and actions that Acclaim Health has put in place to improve opportunities for people with disabilities. The plan is publicly available on the Company’s website, and will be reviewed every five years.
Statement of Commitment
Acclaim Health is committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. We believe in integration and equal opportunity. We are committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner, and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility and meeting accessibility requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Accessible Emergency Information
Acclaim Health is committed to providing customers and clients with publicly available emergency information in an accessible way upon request. We will also provide employees with disabilities with individualized emergency response information when necessary.
Acclaim Health will provide training to employees, volunteers and other staff members on Ontario’s accessibility laws and on the Human Rights Code as it relates to people with disabilities. Training will be provided in a way that best suits the duties of employees, volunteers and other staff members.
Acclaim Health has taken the following steps to ensure employees are provided with the training needed to meet Ontario’s accessible laws by January 1, 2015:
- by establishing, implementing and maintaining a program for training on how to provide customer service to people with disabilities. Acclaim Health will ensure employees, and volunteers who deal with the public or other third parties on their behalf, receive training about the provisions of services to people with disabilities.
- Training will include:
- an overview of the AODA and the requirements of the customer service standard.
- how to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or support person.
- how to use various equipment and/or devices that may help with providing services to people with disabilities.
- what to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing Acclaim Health’s services.
- Acclaim Health’s policies, procedures and practice governing the provisions of services to person with disabilities.
- Acclaim Health will keep detailed records of the training provided for reporting purposes. Staff will also be trained when changes are made to our accessible customer service plan/policy.
- Training will be provided to all employees, volunteers, persons who develop the organization’s policies and all independent contractors and other persons who provide goods and services on the organization’s behalf. The training will cover the requirements under the Integrated Accessibility Standard and the relevant provisions of the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Information and Communications
Acclaim Health is committed to meeting the communication needs of people with disabilities. We will consult with people with disabilities to determine their information and communication needs.
Acclaim Health has taken the following steps to make all new websites and content on those sites conform with WCAG 2.0, Level A by January 1, 2014 and WCAG 2.0, Level AA by January 1, 2021:
- be in compliance with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 AA. These changes will make content accessible to a wider range of people with disabilities, including blindness and low vision, learning disabilities, cognitive limitations, limited movement, speech disabilities, photosensitivity and combinations of these.
Acclaim Health has taken the following steps to make ensure existing feedback processes are accessible to people with disabilities upon request by January 1, 2015:
- by maintaining a feedback process to enable members of the public to comment on the provisions of services to person with disabilities. Feedback from the public is welcomed as it may identify areas that require change and encourage continuous service improvements
- all feedback will be kept in strict confidence and used to improve customer service. An answer to feedback is not mandatory, however, depending on the situation, it may be appropriate to respond to the client. Should an answer be deemed appropriate and should the customer have chosen to supply his/her contact information, the client will be provided with a response.
We welcome feedback on how we provide services to people with disabilities through our website at /feedback/
Acclaim Health has taken the following steps to ensure all publicly available information is made accessible upon request by January 1, 2016:
- we will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability
- in the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for customers with disabilities Acclaim Health will notify customers promptly. This clearly posted notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available.
Acclaim Health is committed to fair and accessible employment practices.
We will take the following steps to notify the public and staff that, when requested, Acclaim Health will accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes and when people are hired. Acclaim Health will ensure all job applicants are aware that we will accommodate disabilities during the selection process by:
- posting this information about accommodation on our website;
- including a statement in all job postings; and when required, contacting applicant directly by phone, in person, mail and email.
- if a job applicant requests accommodation for the recruitment and selection process, Acclaim Health will consult with them and make adjustments that best suit their needs.
- Acclaim Health will notify successful applicants of our policies for accommodating employees with disabilities within the offer letter.
- it is the applicant’s responsibility to needs to make their needs known to the employer.
Acclaim Health has taken the following steps to develop and put in place a process for developing individual accommodation plans and return-to-work policies for employees that have been absent due to a disability:
- by developing individual accommodation plans for employees with disabilities in a clear and consistent way. Accommodation plans are a formal way to record and review the accommodation for an employee with a disability.
- the accommodation plan will be regularly reviewed and updated
We have taken the following steps to ensure the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities needs are taken into account if Acclaim Health is using performance management, career development and redeployment processes:
Provide employees with informal and formal performance management process and improve an employee’s performance, productivity, effectiveness and overall success through:
- Annual Performance Development Process
- Collaborative Action Plan
To assist employees with disabilities with career development and redeployment we will provide employees with learning and development opportunities whenever possible.
Acclaim Health has taken the following steps to prevent and remove other accessibility barriers identified:
- any policy of Acclaim Health that does not respect and promote dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed
Acclaim Health has put the following procedures in place to prevent service disruptions to its accessible parts of its public spaces.
- in the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities that are relied upon by persons with disabilities to access Acclaim Health’s services, notice of the disruption shall be provided in advance. Notification will be posted, when required, and include information about the reasons for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available.
- in the event of an unexpected disruption, notice will be provided as soon as possible.
For more information on this accessibility plan, please contact Aynsley Hare at:
- Phone: 905-827-8800 ext. 2028
- Email: [email protected]
Accessible formats of this document are available upon request from the Community Engagement Department.
Next Revision: 2025