We’re committed to protecting your privacy.
Acclaim Health is committed to protecting the privacy and confidentiality of your personal health information as outlined in the Personal Health Information Protection Act (2004).
What is Personal Health Information (PHI)?
Personal health information refers to information that could identify you if used alone or in combination with other information. This includes:
- Name, Address, Phone Number, Date of Birth
- Health Card Number
- Current and Past Medical Diagnoses
- Personal History of yourself and your family
- Reason(s) you need services
Why does Acclaim Health collect and use this information?
- To assess your needs based on the information collected.
- To provide health and social services relevant to your needs.
- To share your information with others involved in planning and providing your care.
- To monitor and evaluate the quality of services that you are receiving.
What are my rights regarding the sharing of my personal health information?
It is your right to decide who has access to your personal health information. All exceptions to the sharing of your information will be respected and recorded on the Privacy Consent.
Exception: For clients receiving services from the Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) the LHIN can audit and inspect client records. The delivery of client records may also be required as part of our agreement with the LHIN.
What information will Acclaim Health share with other Health Team Members?
In order to meet your needs, the Acclaim Health team will communicate with other health team members that are involved with your care.
Some of these health team members may include:
- Acclaim Health Team: Nurses, Personal Support Workers, Companions, Supervisors, Recreation Staff, Schedulers, Volunteers, and Palliative Care Consultants
- Health Care Team: Doctor, Pharmacist, and Physiotherapist
- Care Coordinator for the LHIN
- Designated Family Members or Caregivers
- Other Health Care or Social Agencies, registered Retirement Homes
You can withdraw consent to share personal health information at any time.
Can I make changes or corrections to my health record?
We make every effort to ensure that your personal health information is accurate and up to date. If you believe that the information is not correct, please inform your Acclaim Health staff member.
How can I request access to my health record?
If the health record is in your home, please feel free to look at it. If you have any questions or concerns, please ask your Acclaim Health staff member.
If your health record is in electronic format, you can request a copy by calling our Customer Service team at 905-827-8800 or 1-800-387-7127. You will be asked to sign a release form and show photo identification before your health record is released.
Who is responsible for privacy matters at Acclaim Health?
Acclaim Health has a Privacy Officer who is responsible for ensuring that Acclaim Health staff members understand and follow privacy policies and procedures.
If you have a privacy concern or complaint, please contact:
If our Privacy Officer is unable to resolve your issue, you may contact the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario at 416-326-3333 or 1-800-387-0073.