This is one of the most meaningful volunteer experiences you’ll ever have.
As a Hospice Care Volunteer, you will support the emotional, psychological, spiritual, practical and social needs of a person dying at home and their family. With deep compassion and without judgement, you’ll provide a safe space for the client to express their feelings and share their story.
Ultimately, you’ll improve the quality of life for the dying person and act as an important support for the family during a difficult time.
Our training course is extremely thorough and will prepare you to be comfortable in this role. Plus, our Care Managers are always available to support you and your client.
Skills and Experience
- Excellent active listener
- Compassionate and caring
- Comfortable with death and dying
- Open and non-judgmental
- Respectful of the client’s cultural and religious beliefs
- Able to maintain strict confidentiality
- Successful completion of the training course
30 hours of training, usually offered for 3 hours, once a week for 10 weeks in the spring and fall.
Next Training Session:
Date: Saturdays, April 6 – May 11
Time: 9:30am – 4:00pm
2+ hours per week, matched to your client for the duration of their illness
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Clean police records check with vulnerable sector screening
- Two references
Should you require accommodation during the application process, please inform Fran Savelson at 905-827-8800 x2329 so we can ensure your equal participation.