Acclaim Health is committed to protecting the privacy and confidentiality of your Personal Health Information (PHI) and respecting your privacy rights.
Collection, Use and Disclosure of Your PHI
Acclaim Health collects, uses, and discloses your PHI for the primary purposes of providing care to you. This includes:
- treatment and care,
- delivery of the programs and
- communicating with or consulting other health care providers including using a third-party network or system.
Acclaim Health also collects, uses, and discloses PHI for secondary purposes which include:
- marketing and fundraising, with clients permission, where permitted by the Home and Community Care Support Services,
- planning, administering, and managing operations,
- receiving payment or processing, monitoring verifying or reimbursing claims for payment,
- conducting risk management, error management and quality improvement activities,
- educating our staff, students and volunteers,
- monitoring and evaluating services including client surveying and Accreditation,
- compiling statistics,
- disposing of identifiable information,
- reporting to authorities to prevent serious harm to you or others,
- responding to or initiating legal proceedings,
- meeting legal obligations and as otherwise permitted or required by law.
Protecting Your PHI
We have robust privacy policies, procedures and training that comply with applicable privacy laws and regulations. We only collect the amount of information needed to perform our duties and only use your personal health information for authorized purposes. We protect your information from theft, loss, and unauthorized access, copying, change, disclosure, and disposal. We conduct audits and complete investigations, as needed, to monitor and manage our privacy compliance.
Your Privacy Rights
You have the right to
- look at and get a copy of your health record. We will ask you to sign a release form. A nominal fee will be charged.
- Ask to correct inaccurate or incomplete information. We will ask you to put your request in writing.
- Ask us not to collect, use or share your PHI for healthcare purposes. Exception: For clients receiving services from Home and Community Care Support Services (HCCSS), formerly the LHIN, can audit and inspect client records. The delivery of client records may also be required as part of our agreement with HCCSS. We will ask you to put your request in writing.
- Be told if your PHI was lost, stolen, or accessed/used/disclosed improperly.
If you have a privacy question, concern, or complaint, please contact:
If our Privacy Officer is unable to resolve your issue, or you feel that your concerns have not been addressed, you may also contact the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario at 416-326-3333 or 1-800-387-0073.