We’re committed to your well-being, safety and dignity.
Experience high quality care, a caring and collaborative team, and respect for you as a person.
You are encouraged to take an active role in the care you – or your loved one – is receiving.
We will take the time to understand your needs and goals, explain your options, and help you find the best solution possible. We’ll be by your side as your care and support needs change.
Your safety is something we take seriously:
- Staff and volunteers are trained to recognize safety risks to your health and in your home
- Staff are provided with ongoing training to ensure high quality care
- Internal audits are conducted to identify potential risks
- Policies and procedures are rigorously reviewed to mitigate potential risks
You and your family have the right:
- To be treated in a respectful manner and to be free from physical, sexual, mental, emotional, verbal and financial abuse by the provider.
- To be treated in a manner that respects the patient’s dignity and privacy and that promotes the patient’s autonomy and participation in decision-making.
- To be dealt with in a manner that recognizes the patient’s individuality and that is sensitive to and responds to the patient’s needs and preferences, including preferences based on ethnic, spiritual, linguistic, familial and cultural factors.
- To receive home and community care services free from discrimination on any ground of discrimination prohibited by the Human Rights Code or the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
- A patient who is First Nations, Métis or Inuk has the right to receive home and community care services in a culturally safe manner.
- To clear and accessible information about their home and community care services.
- To participate in the assessment of their needs, development of their care plan, reassessment of their needs and revision of their care plan.
- To designate a person to be present with them during assessments.
- To designate a person to participate in the development, evaluation and revision of their care plan.
- A patient who receives more than one home and community care service has the right to receive assistance in coordinating their services from the health service provider or Ontario Health Team.
- To give or refuse consent to the provision of any home and community care service.
- To raise concerns or recommend changes in connection with the home and community care service provided to them and in connection with policies and decisions that affect their interests, to the provider of the home and community care service, the Agency and its employees, government officials or any other person, without fear of interference, coercion, discrimination or reprisal.
- To be informed of the laws, rules and policies affecting the operation of the provider of the home and community care service, including this Patient Bill of Rights, and to be informed, in writing, of the procedures for initiating complaints about the provider.
You and your family have the responsibility:
- To actively participate with the Acclaim Health team in preparing your care plan.
- To treat Acclaim Health staff with respect in an environment that is free from verbal and physical abuse, harassment, and discrimination.
- To follow your agreed upon care plan so that you can have the best quality of care possible.
- To ask questions if you do not understand the instructions or information given to you.
- To notify Acclaim Health ahead of time when you need to reschedule or cancel service.
- To inform Acclaim Health of any concerns, problems or dissatisfaction with the services provided.
- To ensure Acclaim Health Staff can work in a safe environment by:
- Not smoking a minimum of one hour before or while Acclaim Health staff are providing care/service
- Removing pets when Acclaim Health staff are providing care consistently
- Ensuring that appropriate equipment is available and in good working order for Acclaim Health staff
- Ensuring hallways and floors are free of clutter
- Making sure that the pathway and driveway of your home are free of snow, ice or debris