Designed for nurses, this course will grow your hospice palliative care knowledge and expertise.
Comprehensive Advanced Palliative Care Education (CAPCE) program is an immersive experience into the “art” and “science” of providing high quality, best evidence-informed palliative care. This program focuses on the development and role of the nurse (RNs, RPNs and NPs) as a hospice palliative care resource for the inter-professional team in long term care homes, home care agencies, hospitals and communities. It covers best practice standards and aligns with A Model to Guide Hospice Palliative Care.
This course takes approximately 5 months to complete, and will require approximately 5 hours of independent study time each week. You must have access to a computer and the internet to complete the course.
Prerequisite: Fundamentals of Hospice Palliative Care
Blended-Learning Program Components
- Completion of Fundamentals Enhanced (first CAPCE class)
- Case-based learning sessions (four sessions x 4 hours each, in-class, live virtual learning)
- Coaching sessions (six sessions x 2 hours each, in-class, live virtual learning)
- Peer-to-Peer Exchanges / Learning Debriefs (four sessions)
- Practical Application Assignments (x2)
- E-learning Modules (x6)
- Self-directed reading and reflection
All program components are mandatory, including attendance at all learning sessions, to receive a certificate of completion.
- Complete application form to demonstrate:
- Completion of Fundamentals of Hospice Palliative Care Core Program (some exceptions may be considered on an individual basis)
- NP, RN, or RPN registration in good standing
- Access to an internet-enabled computer
- Meet the eligibility and selection criteria below for applicants (based on the applicant’s answers to questions in the application form)
- Minimum of 1 year experience (or equivalent as determined by the CAPCE coordination team) caring for people with a progressive, life-limiting illness
- Must be able to attend all sessions
- The CAPCE coordination team will review all applications. Applicants who are accepted will receive notification by email, and will be sent a link for payment at that time.
- Course runs each fall and winter.
In order for the Nurse Practitioner (NP), Registered Nurse (RN) or Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) to be eligible to participate in the CAPCE program, the following attributes/experience will be considered:• Ability and interest to function as a Resource Nurse, providing primary level support and advanced level knowledge and skills for care team members in his or her organization• Ability and interest to coach others, facilitate change and be a role model• Sensitivity to the impact of attitudes, behaviours, life experiences, values, thoughts and feelings on the well-being and quality of life from the perspective of all partners in care
• Ability to listen, learn from others, to question self and others, and identify new approaches
• Ability to solve problems and take action to provide the best care possible
• Ability to learn and develop, both personally and as part of a team and organization
• Ability to engage in self-directed study and independent research using resources such as libraries, the Internet, peers and subject matter experts
Fall Program: Mississauga Halton (Virtual)
Week 1: Thursday September 8, 2022 from 1:00pm-3:00pm
Week 2: Thursday October 13, 2022 from 9:00am-1:00pm
Week 3: Thursday November 17, 2022 from 9:00am-1:00pm
Week 4: Thursday January 19, 2023 from 9:00am-1:00pm
Week 5: Thursday February 23, 2023 from 9:00am-1:00pm
The application deadline is July 28, 2022
The CAPCE coordination team will review all applications. Applicants who are accepted will receive notification by email on or before August 4, 2022, and will be sent a link for payment at that time.
Winter Program: Central West (Virtual)
Week 1: Wednesday December 7, 2022 from 1:00pm-3:00pm
Week 2: Wednesday January 4, 2023 from 12:00pm-4:00pm
Week 3: Wednesday February 15, 2023 from 12:00pm-4:00pm
Week 4: Wednesday April 19, 2023 from 12:00pm-4:00pm
Week 5: Wednesday May 31, 2023 from 12:00pm-4:00pm
The application deadline is October 26, 2022
The CAPCE coordination team will review all applications. Applicants who are accepted will receive notification by email on or before November 3, 2022, and will be sent a link for payment at that time.