Designed for nurses, this course will grow your hospice palliative care knowledge and expertise.
Comprehensive Advanced Palliative Care Education (CAPCE) focuses on the development and role of the nurse (RNs, RPNs and NPs) as a hospice palliative care resource for the inter-professional team in long term care homes, home care agencies, hospitals and communities. It covers best practice standards and aligns with A Model to Guide Hospice Palliative Care.
This course takes approximately 5 months to complete, and will require approximately 5 hours of independent study time each week. You must have access to a computer and the internet to complete the course.
Prerequisite: You must have successfully completed Fundamentals of Hospice Palliative Care
CAPCE consists of the following:
- Case-based learning sessions (four sessions x 4 hours each, in person)
- Coaching sessions (six sessions x 2 hours each, in person)
- Peer-to-Peer Exchanges / Learning Debriefs (four sessions)
- Practical Application Assignments (x2)
- E-learning Modules (x6)
- Self-directed reading and reflection
All course components are mandatory, including attendance at ALL in person learning sessions.
- Applications are accepted each year in June / July. Selection criteria is as follows:
- Completion of Fundamentals of Hospice Palliative Care
- Minimum of 1 year of experience caring for people with a progressive, life-limiting illness
- All applications are then reviewed by the CAPCE team, and successful applicants are notified by mid-July (at which time course fee must be paid).
- Course runs each fall.
Receive emails regarding future sessions.