Help reduce pain, stress and anxiety for people with life-limiting illnesses, dementia or caregivers experiencing high stress.
You’ll improve their quality of life and well-being through the use of complementary therapies, such as:
- Therapeutic Touch™
If you are trained in any of the above and have an hour or two to spare each week, then we’d love to have you on our volunteer team.
Skills and Experience
- Must be Reiki Level 2 or higher OR Therapeutic Touch™ level 2 or higher
- Comfortable with in-person visitation and distant therapy sessions
- Long term volunteers required
- Understanding that clients are considered vulnerable and not to be solicited in any way
- Compassionate and caring
Additional training and support will be provided to effectively work with clients that are palliative, have a life-limiting illness, and caregiver stress.
Must be available to commit to 1 hour per week for a 6-week block per client
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Clean police records check with vulnerable sector screening
- Two references
- All Acclaim Health staff and volunteers must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Should you require accommodation during the application process, please inform Tanya Peche-Hopley at 905-827-8800 x2329, so we can ensure your equal participation.
“I felt so mellow and calm. I didn’t want to open my eyes or lift my arms. I wanted to sit and just be.”
– Client Marilyn Greenham (with volunteer June Leach)
Upcoming Training Sessions
"I couldn't talk, I couldn't socialize with anyone, and this program has allowed me to be where I am today". Joanne's daughter Jenny was diagnosed with a brain tumour at the age of twenty and told she had an approximate two-year survival rate. Although very upset, Jenny made the mental decision to live her best…
“Although everyone’s story is slightly different, they get it. They understand the feelings and understand what is happening with your loved one.” A dementia diagnosis doesn’t just impact one person. It changes the lives of many, as a family navigates what their life will be like now that a loved one is living with dementia.…
Dorothy didn’t know that a trip to the bank 10 years ago would change her life forever. A bank teller simply asked her if she’d like some company, and Dorothy said she'd love some. The teller then connected her with Acclaim Health, and our staff paired her with a volunteer named Audrey. An everlasting friendship…