Welcome to the Memory Visiting Student Placement Program, a unique opportunity to make a difference in the lives of older adults with memory impairment while gaining valuable experience and skills!
Through engaging in activities and conversations that interest our clients, you will gain a deeper understanding of how memory impairment affects their lives and discover effective tools to combat physical and mental decline. By providing a friendly social connection outside of their normal social sphere, you’ll not only enrich their lives but also provide much needed respite for their caregivers.
Our placement opportunity is designed to be extremely thorough, providing you with suggested activities and strategies to effectively engage your clients. Additionally, our staff is always available to support you and your client, ensuring a positive and rewarding experience for everyone involved.
Join us in making meaningful connections and creating lasting memories with our beloved clients. Apply now to become a part of our placement program.
Immediate Supervisor: Care Manager, Memory Visiting Volunteer Program
Locations: Oakville, Burlington, and Milton
Positions Available: 4 – 6 students
Commitment: 4 or 8 – month placements are offered
- Short regular visits with a variety of social clients who are lonely due to challenges with their memory.
- Identify and create fun, engaging, and meaningful Montessori-based activities while socializing with your clients.
- Learn about various cognitive and/or physical challenges that cause isolation and a decline in function in older adults (such as but not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, vision impairment, pain, communication, and transportation challenges) & community supports to help them.
- Learn how to assess client abilities and challenges and create a care plan to promote independence, value, and a sense of connection.
- Learn and use Alayacare (a patient information management system) and access full client assessments of the IAR (used by the HCCSS)
- Complete an intake of a new client
- Change the life by uplifting the value and mood of a lonely senior
- An independent position that you can make your own.
- Great reference for future work
- Potential to be hired for future work at Acclaim Health (even before graduation)
- Mileage is paid
- Independent position and ability to tailor your learning according to your desired focus
Responsibilities and Duties
- Work towards the fulfillment of client/family-centered goals mutually as agreed upon between the family, you, and Acclaim Health.
- Visit and give support to various individual clients as discussed with students & assigned by your Care Manager.
- Become certified in Memory Visiting Training Level One (either with a group or one-on-one with your Care Manager), or have equivalent experience/training.
- Communicate with the Care Manager or designate regarding any concerns relating to the client & help to identify appropriate resources to support their need(s).
- Implement instructions from the Care Manager in order to meet client/family needs and expectations.
- Participate in ongoing client safety education and optional education and training sessions.
- Foster and maintain open communication and good public relations with healthcare team members, including family and existing community services.
- Maintain client/family confidentiality.
- Adhere to the program’s policies and procedures
- Participate in self-evaluation and program evaluation when requested.
- Documentation within our client information management system, Alayacare.
- Maintain access to a vehicle for the duration of placement hours (for your transportation only).
- Knowledge of Microsoft office
- Independent, creative, believe in open communication
- Good Time Management & prompt follow-up in communication
- Is comfortable working with remote supervision (caregiver or supervisor may not be present for all visits).
- Once accepted as a student by Acclaim Health must provide:
1. Current valid Police Check with a Vulnerable Sector Check
2. Proof of at least 2 current COVID-19 vaccines
3. Complete a TB 2-step test
4. Must attend staff orientation (included in placement time)
5. Two personal references
- A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle. Students will be reimbursed for mileage ($0.53/km).
- Highly motivated
- Warm and caring
- Dependable and trustworthy
- Able to lay aside own problems in order to listen to others
- Calm in an emergency situation
- Confident in maintaining boundaries.
- Able to communicate effectively and openly
Volunteers will be provided with training on safety protocols and the use of PPE. All volunteers and staff are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, wear a mask and follow all government-mandated protocols when visiting clients.